Y’all. I now wake up in the middle of the night with ideas for food to feature on the blog. I write them down so I won’t forget because unfortunately, I’ve forgotten some.
::super sad face::
I jotted this one down at 3:27AM a few weeks ago and HAVE MERCY. I’m so glad this one didn’t slip away into the idea ether. I honestly don’t know if I can go back to eating bagels. What’s better than a toasted bagel with all the fixin’s? All the fixin’s on a grilled cheese.
I whipped up a little schmear of whipped cream cheese with green onions in it because those sad dehydrated chives in the storebought cream cheeses give me a serious case of the vapors.
I slapped that schmear on some three cheese bread along with some everything bagel seasoning and mozzarella and smeared the outside with a little butter. I cooked it on medium low until it died and went to crispy, melty, ooey-gooey heaven.
Now listen. I don’t think this millennium has given us anything quite so great as everything bagel seasoning. Spoiler alert: I use it on, well, everything. Eggs, chicken, steamed broccoli. You name it I’ve tried it. But this has been my favorite application. I used a ton of it because last I checked this is America and I do what I want.
I topped it with a metric sheesh ton of toppings and dove in head first. It’s so, so very good. Our son spent the night somewhere else last night so I whipped these up for me and the Mr. They were a success! Maybe not date food though. Your breath will be quite funky and you may burp from the cucumbers. Charming. They don’t call me The Messy Mrs for nothing. Do as I say and not as I do. Make them on a night it’s more acceptable to have funky breath, if such a night exists in your world. I’m sure your world is far more refined than mine.
Make them today. Tomorrow. Whenever. Forever.
Everything But The Bagel Grilled CheesePrint Pin Rate Add To Menu Plan
For the grilled cheese:
- 4 slices three cheese seminola bread (tested with La Brea)
- ⅓ cup whipped cream cheese
- 3 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp salted butter (tested with Kerrygold)
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- ½ small red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 1 small cucumber (peeled and sliced)
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 1 Tbsp chives (cut into ½" pieces)
For the grilled cheese:
- Mix together cream cheese and green onions together in a small bowl.
- Divide and spread cream cheese mixture on 2 slices of the bread. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over the cream cheese. Add mozzarella over the everything bagel seasoning.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-low heat. Add in pieces of bread with cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining pieces of bread. Cook until lightly golden, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Flip. Add remaining butter. Cook until lightly golden, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove sandwiches and plate on 2 plates.
- On top of the sandwiches, stack tomato, then onion, then cucumber. Top vegetables with salmon. Garnish with chives. Serve immediately.