PUT DOWN THE MARGARITA MIX AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY.
C’mon y’all. We can do better. Even if you don’t give a flying figgy pudding about cooking something unique, everyone can agree that cocktail hour guests will appreciate that extra mile you take.
In high school you won the popularity contest by maxing out your mom’s credit cards on fly fashion, all it takes in adulthood is having a mean mixology game. This one will bring all the friends to your yard.
Unless you are a curmudgeon that hates people (have you been on Facebook lately?! I totally get avoiding people!!) then you can scale this recipe down for 1, drink this up and turn your crappy world into a happy one.
The best part is you get to pulverize something in a jar. Some people knock around a punching bag… I muddle or whack some kind of food with a mallet. So satisfying. Especially when it ends in happy hour.
I tested this recipe with Cathead Honeysuckle Vodka. I found ours at Total Wine. Click here to find it.
We lost our cocktail shaker in our move three years ago and I’ve just been using a mason jar with a fine mesh strainer over the cup ever since. It’s messier. Do as I say not as I do. Unless you want to do what I say. Then whatever.
This drink is the epitome of southern summer in a cup. Starbucks ain’t the only seasonal drink game in town now, baby! You got this.
Spiked Strawberry Basil Honeysuckle Lemonade
- 6 strawberries quarted, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon zested
- 4 large leaves fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 6 oz honeysuckle vodka
- 8 oz lemonade (tested with Simply Lemonade)
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together strawberries, basil, lemon zest, and sugar. Use the back end of a wooden cooking spoon if you don't have a muddler.
- Add in vodka and lemonade to the cocktail shaker.
- Close tightly and shake for a good minute or two.
- Pour into cocktail glasses over ice.
- Garnish as desired.