OKAY. This little beauty is a dream. It’s quick. It’s easy. It’s healthy. It’s da real MVP. If this bowl of curry were a human, it would be Steph Curry throwing elbows & knocking his opposition to the ground… totally DOMINATING THE COURT. The refs would be so impressed they would not even call all the flagrant fouls because there’s no one would want to stop the show. It would be glorious and entertaining and quite the spectacle that no one would want to stop. This dish is too much but just enough all at the same time.
It comes clocks in at around half an hour of cooking which is always a winner in my book! I always serve this baby with a decent heap of cilantro. You could serve it with a scoop of rice, quinoa, warm naan, or just top it with some raw vegetables like sliced red onion and baby spinach. Toss some peanuts on top. Or cue up the Celine Dion and serve it ALLLLLL BYYYYYYYY ITSEEEEEEEEELF. It can stand solo. It don’t need no date.
Quick Red Lentil Curry
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (unrefined, pure or virgin)
- 1 large red onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced or pressed)
- 2 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp tumeric
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups red lentils
- 14 oz can coconut milk (shaken well)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add coconut oil and onions. Cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and all ingredients listed through the cayenne pepper. Cook until toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in both cans of tomatoes. Stir until well blended.
- Add in broth and lentils. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Serve and garnish as desired.